Senior Data Engineer
Chicago, IL, USA
Cohesion is a leading Intelligent Buildings software solution that is disrupting how buildings operate and how people engage with buildings – from real estate owners/investors, operators, building engineers, to tenants and visitors. Our cutting-edge converged IoT-enabled platform brings together building systems, building software, and business applications into a single portal for on web and mobile platforms to forge the path to autonomous buildings.
We are searching for a Senior Data Engineer to join our rapidly growing team in our Chicago office. This role will report to the VP of Engineering. The Senior Data Engineer is responsible for implementing a scalable, cloud-based data architecture for a data company, leading data quality initiatives, and ensuring the performance of data processes. The right candidate will enjoy solving difficult and novel problems with the leadership to work with several development teams in a fast-paced environment.
What You'll Do
• Build and manage data collection and ETL pipelines
• Build and manage cloud databases
• Drive efficiencies in data collection and transformation through automation
• Cleanse and transform data and provide access through business-facing views
• Ensure data quality throughout the ETL process
• Tune data queries to optimize performance
• Ensure the security of data in transit
• Participate in data governance implementation and strategy
• Support multiple teams’ data strategies and needs, coordinating with each team to ensure needs are met
• Represent data best practices in departmental and architecture discussions
• Write high quality, well tested code to meet the needs of the team’s customers.
• Provide ongoing, transparent communication with a focus on expectations fostering trust with internal stakeholders and external partners.
• Minimum of 5 years of overall related experience.
• Bachelor’s level education or higher in computer science, information technology, or related field.
• Experience working in a global team.
• Position requires flexibility to work outside of non-traditional business hours as required to perform job duties
• Production experience running data pipelines and warehouses at scale on a cloud platform.
• Proficiency with data analytics, visualization tools, and collaboration tools.
• Knowledge of and experience with the software development life cycle
• Experience securing data
• Strong conceptual, strategic thinking, problem solving, technical, and analytical skills.
• Experience with the following technology concepts:
Data warehousing and data engineering
Database design (e. g. Azure hosted SQL server, CosmosDB, Postgres)
Data modeling and stored procedures
Experience with structured, unstructured, relational, and transactional data (e. g. Blob storage)
Scalable data architectures
Graph databases and models (e. g. Neo4J)
Big Data tools and concepts in the cloud
Experience with time series data and streaming data (e. g. Timescale)
Query tuning and optimization
• Relevant industry experience.
• Graduate level education in computer science, information technology, or related field.
• Understanding of the IoT domain.
• Experience with BAS and BMS systems.
• Experience in the Real Estate industry.
• Strong understanding of Agile development processes.
• Early stage startup experience.
What You Can Expect From Cohesion
Cohesion is proud to offer a comprehensive benefits package to eligible, full-time employees in the United States. Our benefits are designed to invest in our employees— and their family’s —well-being, including investments in their health, happiness, and well-being.
• Receiving a competitive compensation package, including bonus, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401k match
• Receiving a monthly cell phone reimbursement
• Comprehensive wellness reimbursement program (eligible after 6 months of employment)
• Enjoying a responsible unlimited PTO program to help employees maintain work-life balance after 3 months of employment
• 2-way flexibility of work schedules
• Dressing for your day
• Enjoying family leave benefits
At Cohesion, we see diversity and inclusion as a source of strength. We believe building trust and innovation are best achieved through diverse thought and practice. Individuals seeking employment at Cohesion are considered without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.