Chicago, IL, USA
Cohesion is a leading Intelligent Buildings software solution that is disrupting how buildings operate and how people engage with buildings – from real estate owners/investors, operators, building engineers, to tenants and visitors. Our cutting-edge converged IoT-enabled platform brings together building systems, building software, and business applications into a single portal for on web and mobile platforms to forge the path to autonomous buildings.
We are searching for a Principal Engineer to join our rapidly growing team. This role will report to the Chief Technology Officer. The Principal Engineer is responsible for designing and building a highly scalable data platform, a robust cloud-hosted platform, and a collection of exciting user-facing application services. The right candidate will enjoy solving difficult and novel problems and will be a seasoned developer with strong cloud and data skills who loves to build robust, performant platforms and solutions.
What You'll Do
• Responsible for full end to end solution and integration design.
• Work in a fast-paced Agile environment with multiple teams of 4-8 developers delivering platform, integration, data, and application solutions for building owners and tenants.
• Collaborate with various stakeholders to align technical designs with business strategy and goals.
• Deliver software features and platform improvements with exceptional quality, meeting designated release plans and delivery commitments.
• Work closely with other team leads in guiding architecture and technology decisions.
• Engineer for the long term, ensuring solutions are rapidly deployable, highly testable, easily maintainable, and coded with keen attention to craftsmanship.
• Be the trusted ‘drop in’ person who can absorb new business and/or technical concepts quickly and implement proofs of concept to validate business and/or technical hypotheses.
• Prototype new solutions and approaches and enable business cases through proofs of concept.
• Create high-level product architectural specifications and design documents.
• Guide and assist development teams throughout construction and implementation.
• Troubleshoot and resolve issues with coding or design.
• Mentor and grow engineering skills within the Technology organization, shaping and growing the technical capability of the teams around you.
• Clearly and thoroughly document and communicate to team and business partners.
• Provide expert thought leadership in your field and work with limited direction, using additional research and interpretation to identify issues or problems.
• Minimum of 8 years of overall related experience.
• Bachelor’s level education in computer science, information technology, or related field.
• Hands-on experience developing proofs of concepts, prototypes, and business cases.
•Minimum of 3 years of experience leading developers.
•Experience working in a global team.
•Production experience running applications at scale on a cloud platform.
•Proficiency with data analytics, visualization tools, and collaboration tools.
•Quality-first mindset with focus on test automation and continuous integration/delivery.
•Ability to articulate complex engineering designs in a very succinct, simple way.
•Strong conceptual, strategic thinking, problem solving, technical, and analytical skills.
•Leadership and influential skills including teamwork, facilitation, and ability to influence and negotiate.
•Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and navigate the organization to leverage existing resources with an eye toward future needs.
•Experience with the following technology concepts:
Data warehousing and data engineering
Designing and building microservice based architectures
SaaS Platform development
Security best practices
Production Kubernetes experience
• Position requires flexibility to work outside of non-traditional business hours as required to perform job duties
• Relevant industry experience.
• Graduate level education in computer science, information technology, or related field.
• Understanding of architecture in an IoT context.
• Designing and implementing multi-tenant applications.
• Experience with BAS and BMS systems.
• Experience in the Real Estate industry.
• Strong understanding of Agile development processes.
• Early stage startup experience.
What You Can Expect From Cohesion
Cohesion is proud to offer a comprehensive benefits package to eligible, full-time employees in the United States. Our benefits are designed to invest in our employees— and their family’s —well-being, including investments in their health, happiness, and well-being.
• Receiving a competitive compensation package, including bonus, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401k match
• Receiving a monthly cell phone reimbursement
• Comprehensive wellness reimbursement program (eligible after 6 months of employment)
• Enjoying a responsible unlimited PTO program to help employees maintain work-life balance after 3 months of employment
• 2-way flexibility of work schedules
• Dressing for your day
• Enjoying family leave benefits
At Cohesion, we see diversity and inclusion as a source of strength. We believe building trust and innovation are best achieved through diverse thought and practice. Individuals seeking employment at Cohesion are considered without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.