Lead Back-End Engineer
Chicago, IL, USA
Cohesion is a leading Intelligent Buildings software solution that is disrupting how buildings operate and how people engage with buildings – from real estate owners/investors, operators, building engineers, to tenants and visitors. Our cutting-edge converged IoT-enabled platform brings together building systems, building software, and business applications into a single portal for on web and mobile platforms to forge the path to autonomous buildings.
We are searching for a Lead Backend Engineer to join our rapidly growing team in our Chicago office. This role will report to the VP of Engineering. The Lead Backend Engineer is responsible for leading a software development team in the accomplishment of its business goals while contributing hands-on coding to the development effort. The right candidate will enjoy solving difficult and novel problems with the leadership to build and maintain a high-performing team.
What You'll Do
• Lead, coach, mentor, and grow an engineering team of 3 to 6 developers.
• Own technical design and work with Product Managers, designers, and other developers to design, develop, test, deliver, support, and improve software systems.
• Manage priorities, dependencies, dates, and deliverables for the team.
• Plan and coordinate the execution of work among a team while balancing priorities in coordination with the Product Manager.
• Represent a long-term perspective on our technical landscape.
• Support consuming applications such as web, mobile, or other systems.
• Ensure the team’s adherence to software best practices.
• Architect, develop, and integrate complex systems using modern cloud technology and industry best practices.
• Drive efficiencies in systems and processes through automation: capacity planning, configuration management, performance tuning, monitoring, and root cause analysis.
• Write high quality, well tested code to meet the needs of the team’s customers.
• Provide ongoing, transparent communication with a focus on expectations fostering trust with internal stakeholders and external partners.
• Minimum of 5 years of overall related experience.
• Experience coaching and mentoring teammates.
• Bachelor’s level education or higher in computer science, information technology, or related field.
• Hands-on experience developing proofs of concepts, prototypes, and business cases.
• Experience working in a global team.
• Production experience running applications at scale on a cloud platform.
• Proficiency with data analytics, visualization tools, and collaboration tools.
• Strong conceptual, strategic thinking, problem solving, technical, and analytical skills.
• Experience with the following technology concepts:
Data warehousing and data engineering
Designing and building microservice based architectures
SaaS Platform development
Security best practices
Production Kubernetes experience
• Position requires flexibility to work outside of non-traditional business hours as required to perform job duties
• Relevant industry experience.
• Graduate level education in computer science, information technology, or related field.
• Understanding of the IoT domain.
• Designing and implementing multi-tenant applications.
• Experience with BAS and BMS systems.
• Experience in the Real Estate industry.
• Strong understanding of Agile development processes.
• Early stage startup experience.
What You Can Expect From Cohesion
Cohesion is proud to offer a comprehensive benefits package to eligible, full-time employees in the United States. Our benefits are designed to invest in our employees— and their family’s —well-being, including investments in their health, happiness, and well-being.
• Receiving a competitive compensation package, including bonus, medical/dental/vision insurance, and 401k match
• Receiving a monthly cell phone reimbursement
• Comprehensive wellness reimbursement program (eligible after 6 months of employment)
• Enjoying a responsible unlimited PTO program to help employees maintain work-life balance after 3 months of employment
• 2-way flexibility of work schedules
• Dressing for your day
• Enjoying family leave benefits
At Cohesion, we see diversity and inclusion as a source of strength. We believe building trust and innovation are best achieved through diverse thought and practice. Individuals seeking employment at Cohesion are considered without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.